-

-

Saint Mary’s hosts series on motherhood

| Friday, February 8, 2019

Saint Mary’s prides itself on providing a well-rounded liberal education. For many, this does not merely mean acquiring knowledge in a variety of subject matter, but also in providing the skills to succeed in any pursuit they may have in life. For many young women, this means motherhood.

Saint Mary’s is hosting a three-part event series focusing on mothering and being an activist, change maker or politician. Following the canceling of the “Activism and Motherhood” event due to the polar vortex, the next event will be “Woman, Mother, Changemaking,” which will be happening next Wednesday, Feb. 13.

Rebekah DeLine, director of the Office for Civic and Social Engagement and the event’s organizer said the idea for the event was born from simple small talk and inquisitions from students.

“I have been mulling this idea for the last year or two,” Deline said. “Students were interested in my own life as a working mom, asking me about my kids and seeing my kids in the office if they are sick or school got canceled. They seemed really interested in that.”

Those moments led DeLine to organize the event in order to connect students to qualified sources in academic sources.

“I do not necessarily see myself as the best example, but I do think that we have great examples in the community for students to learn from,” DeLine said.

DeLine recognized that this event caters to a school like Saint Mary’s, where motherhood more directly affects students due to the all-female student body.

“I think that it is a unique niche we have here at Saint Mary’s that all the students here are female, so the possibility of motherhood is probably on a lot of students’ minds, and that’s different than something that you might have at a co-ed institution,” DeLine said.

The event opens up the conversation about both the beauties and the challenges of balancing a life in the community and in the home.

“I think that women have a unique opportunity and gift to be able to have children, but it comes with unique challenges too, because — especially currently the way that society is constructed — a lot is expected of women that’s not equal and distributed,” DeLine said.

The event will provide the College’s student body with the answers to the questions they have been proposing to DeLine throughout her career, along with information about the panelist’s lives.

“For each of the panels, we invited three women who are in the community. Most of them are mothers who are working full time, and who are doing these things in addition to their work.

We are going to bring them up and they will talk a little bit about their lives, we’ll give their bios and then we will have some questions for them, [such as] how do they manage? How do they make these decisions about how and where to get involved? Have there been times when it wasn’t possible?”

DeLine saw that a part of the conversation about student’s futures was missing, and she hopes to help them learn how to balance their careers and motherhood through this series of events.

“To me, it was an interesting conversation that I think is important … [I think] that students, especially our students here at Saint Mary’s, will find it interesting, so I wanted to facilitate that discussion,” DeLine said.

The event will happen in a two parts: a panel discussion and a facilitated conversation over a provided dinner. Students who wish to attend must register for the event through the OSCE email, but admission is free.

About Colleen Fischer

Contact Colleen