-

-

Senate meeting will elect sophomore class council after failed runoff

| Saturday, February 23, 2019

A special senate meeting will be held Monday to finalize the sophomore class council election after no tickets received a majority vote in Thursday’s runoff election.

According to section 17.5. (a.3) of the Student Union Constitution, “In the event that neither ticket receives a majority of the valid votes in the runoff election, the ticket/candidate which wins the most amount of senate constituencies shall win the election. … The student senate shall convene a special meeting for the purpose of observing the judicial council president announce the runoff election results from the individual senate constituencies.”

The constitution defines senate constituencies as “each undergraduate residence hall, who shall be represented by their respective undergraduate residence hall senators, and the off-campus residents, who shall be represented by the off-campus senator.”

The King-Tighe-Hogan-Case ticket was required to forfeit 33 votes in Tuesday’s initial elections after the ticket was found to have violated regulations outlined in Section 17.1(f) of the student body constitution, which restricts the use of listservs and Google Groups for campaigning. After Tuesday’s elections did not result in a winner, a runoff was held Thursday.

The senate meeting will take place in Duncan Student Center Room W246 on Monday at 6 p.m. If no ticket receives a leading number of constituencies, the senate chairperson will vote.

Further information about the election results will not be disclosed before the vote.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this report incorrectly detailed the electoral procedures to be used in Monday’s senate meeting and incorrectly identified when sanctions were applied to the King-Tighe-Hogan-Case ticket. The Observer regrets this error.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report