Additional spots open in select study abroad programs

After receiving a record number of applications last November, Notre Dame International announced it will be accepting a second round of applications to select study abroad locations, according to a press release last week.

Five programs will be accepting additional students — Peking University in Bejing, Jerusalem, Norwich, Tokyo Sophia and Puebla. Of the five programs, Puebla is the only one with a language requirement.

Study abroad director David Younger said that there were numerous challenges with this year’s application pool.

“A lot of students applied in high numbers to very specific programs, and we couldn’t accommodate that many in those specific programs,” Younger said. “And some of our other programs ... didn’t fill and we want to make sure that we can fill as many programs as we can and send as many students abroad as we can.”

1549589409-40b4e3b685ea52a-700x531
Notre Dame International's department offices are housed in the Main Building
Notre Dame International, whose department offices are housed in the Main Building, will accept additional applicants for five programs after students applied in high numbers to certain locations.

In addition, Younger said the department puts particular emphasis on filling these locations, since some of them function as exchange programs with the respective international universities.

“We want to be able to send them more [students] as well and increase not only our number of students going overseas, but also the internationalization of campus coming in,” Younger said. “It’s a symbiotic relationship in that way.”

The department is encouraging all applicants who were waitlisted or who missed the deadline but are still interested in studying abroad next year to apply, citing the proven benefits of traveling internationally as a major reason to consider.

“It’s a very transformational experience,” Younger said. “It’s an opportunity to not only have a different style of academic learning, but to move beyond academic learning and have more of the intercultural learning — the personal development experience that students will have while they’re abroad.”

Younger did acknowledge the concern many students have about going abroad, in that it may interfere with the recruiting cycle. However, he emphasized the unique opportunity students who travel internationally have of using their experience as a crux to better market themselves to employers.

“Really critically analyze what you’re doing while you’re abroad,” Younger said. “If you’re just going to go through the motions of essentially being in South Bend while you’re abroad, I would encourage those students to instead ask themselves, ‘How can I make this experience the most useful to me both academically, but also on an intercultural or interpersonal level?’ That’s going to be what interviewers look for when they ask about your experience abroad.”

Applications to these programs are being accepted now. Initial review will begin on Feb. 9, and applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis until all spots are filled.