Tuesday, May 14, 2024

The Observer elects Editor-in-Chief for 2019-2020 term

The Observer General Board elected former Associate News Editor Kelli Smith as Editor-in-Chief for the 2019-2020 term Friday.

“Kelli is a standout reporter with excellent journalism instincts, and her contributions to The Observer over the past two years have been invaluable,” current Editor-in-Chief Courtney Becker said. “I have every confidence that she will do a fantastic job as Editor-in-Chief this year, even as she navigates the unique challenges she will face at the beginning of her term.”

1549215695-fb8fb9ac37f9f04
The Observer General Board elected Kelli Smith to be the Editor-in-Chief for the 2019-2020 term.

Formerly a resident of Badin Hall, Smith is a junior currently studying abroad in Israel. Smith is pursuing double majors in Political Science and Film, Television and Theatre with minors in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy and Computing and Digital Technologies.

“I am honored to have the opportunity to lead The Observer for the next year,” Smith said. “I’ve learned so much being on this staff, and I am so excited to continue learning and tackling new ambitions in the year ahead.

“I am forever grateful to the outgoing Editorial Board for the example it has left. I look forward to building off the great work it has accomplished for the entire tri-campus community.”

A native of El Paso, Texas, Smith has helped lead the news department since March 2018. A news writer since 2017, she has written about diversity and inclusion on campus and local impacts of national stories.

Smith will begin her term as Editor-in-Chief on March 2.