-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Notre Dame defeats Purdue for fifth win of season

| Thursday, February 14, 2019

After a tightly contested victory on the road in Bloomington, Indiana, on Sunday, the Notre Dame women’s tennis team returned home Wednesday to face off against Purdue at Eck Tennis Center. The Irish picked up their fifth win of the season, beating the Boilermakers 4-0 to improve to 26-6 all-time against the in-state rival.

Despite struggles on the doubles side of play in recent matches, the Irish (5-2) were able to earn the important doubles point over the Boilermakers (5-2) with wins coming from the teams of junior Bess Waldram and sophomore Cameron Corse at the one doubles line as well as freshman Zoe Taylor and sophomore Ally Bojczuk at the three doubles line. The pairing of Taylor and Bojczuk got the scoring started first, winning 6-2, followed by Waldram and Corse winning 6-4. Junior Zoe Spence and graduate student Brooke Broda did not complete their match.

In singles, Spence earned a standout win that would set the tone for the rest of the match, defeating the ninth-ranked singles player in the country, Purdue’s Silvia Abrosio, 6-2, 6-4. Corse would finish right behind Spence, winning her match over Purdue junior Alex Sabe 6-4, 6-2. Waldram would go on to clinch the victory for the Irish, beating sophomore Seira Shimizu 7-5, 6-1. Broda, Bojczuk and freshman Maeve Koscielski did not complete their matches. Broda and Koscielski were both up one set in their contests while Bojczuk dropped a close first set, 7-5.

Notre Dame is now 3-0 at home this season, its previous wins coming against Western Michigan and Bowling Green. The Irish will continue their five-match homestand on Saturday with a doubleheader against Michigan State and Wright State. Notre Dame will begin doubles play against the Spartans at 10 a.m., followed by its afternoon match against the Raiders starting at 5 p.m.

Tags: ,