Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Delgado, Irish finish fifth as a team in North Carolina

Over the weekend, the Men’s Golf team traveled to Chapel Hill North Carolina to compete in the Tar Heel Intercollegiate. Over three rounds, the Irish totaled a combined 878, good for fifth place among teams.

Especially impressive in the tournament, as has been the case all year, was senior Miguel Delgado, who finished in a tie for second place individually. Delgado came into the clubhouse Sunday with a 1-under par 71 to cap off another strong showing. His three-day total was 213  and head coach John Handrigan said he could not be happier his captain’s performance.

“It was a strong field with some of the best teams in the country and for him to come in second place in that field after a top five the week before at The Schenkel was very impressive,” Handrigan said.

However, Delgado was not alone in having a positive performance this weekend. After a slow start that left the team in 12th place after the first day, the Irish demonstrated impressive resilience, rallying to charge up the leaderboard to fifth place. Alongside Delgado’s continued strong play, freshman Taichi Kho handed in a gritty effort, progressing with each round over the weekend. Kho ended the weekend in 28th place. Junior Davis Lamb similarly struggled out of the gates in round one but put in solid performances in the following two to share 36th place with teammate Andrew O’Leary and others. Both competitors finished with scores of 224.

Senior Ben Albin finished just outside of the top four scores for the Irish, carding a three-round total of 225 and finishing in a tie for 43rd. Individually, sophomore Alex Jamieson finished 74th, tallying a 234.

On April 6 and 7, the Irish will travel to Augusta, Georgia — not to partake in the Masters, but the similarly prestigious Augusta Invitational. As for the next competition, Handrigan said he sees no reason why the Irish cannot compete for the top spots, and addressed questions over possible problems facing the team.

“[There are] none, to be honest,” Handrigan said. “We are finally getting rolling on all cylinders now as we are getting closer to the postseason and we are doing a lot of great things that we are getting dialed in on.”