-

-

irish insider

Finalist profiles

| Friday, March 1, 2019

Dan “The Emotional Punching Bag” Wilborn — 142 lbs.

Wilborn’s fighting style is gritty and relentless. He maintains a high volume of punches throughout the fight. His opponents often have much longer reaches, but that does not stop Wilborn from pushing into the body and keeping the fight intense the entire time.

Aidan “Ace” Becklund — 142 lbs.

Becklund is the kind of fighter who uses his reach to his advantage. A tall fighter for his weight class, Becklund has a strong defensive style of fighting. He dances around the ring, keeping his opponent at bay. He forces his opponents to bring the fight to him.

Joe “Pa” Purcell — 148 lbs.

Purcell starts off fights by using his reach to his advantage. He keeps his opponents at bay, barely allowing them to land a single punch in the first few rounds. This tires out his opponents and allows Purcell to modify his fighting style later in the fight, keeping less distance and landing more punches than he did at the beginning.

Leonard “Typhoon” Calvo — 148 lbs.

Calvo is a smaller fighter who uses his size to his advantage. Calvo dodges under his opponent’s punches and then gets up quickly, often landing multiple blows to the head and body this way. Calvo is the kind of fighter that makes up for his lack of size with determination and intensity.

Michael “The K.O.” Feijoo — 157 lbs.

Feijoo, a senior captain from Morrissey, has a low, stealthy fighting style that allows him to seem as if he’s always one step ahead of his competitor. Once he is able to rope his opponent into a vulnerable position, he uses his quick hands to throw punches in flurries. Technique and timing are key for this fighter.

Kyle “Nemo” Mettler — 157 lbs.

Mettler might best be compared to a Rock ’Em Sock ’Em Robot, and that’s not a bad thing. The Alumni sophomore has an aggressive fighting style which allows him to land the home-run hits, but that really relies on his strong conditioning and ability to attack in flurries.

Nick “The Soviet Stinger” Kiene — 160 lbs.

Patience is a fighting virtue for Keenan senior Kiene. His laid-back style lets his opponent become the aggressor while he methodically breaks them down. The only thing working against Kiene is that he at times looks gassed late into rounds, but what he might lack in conditioning, he makes up for in elusiveness and savvy to hold onto his command of a match.

Luke “Flavor” Fraser — 160 lbs.

Fraser’s strength lies in his conditioning. His ability to move around in later parts of a round help him take advantage of tired opponents. The Alumni sophomore also has a strong ability to counter his opponent’s moves and throw in flurries to control the tempo of the fight.

Taylor “Bam Bam” Vucinich — 168 lbs.

Vucinich, an Alumni junior, is a power fighter. He is not afraid to go for the big hit, even if that leaves him vulnerable on the other end. In his semifinals match, Vucinich’s conditioning was on display as he went three full rounds filled with nonstop action.

Ryan “Jessie’s Girl” Green — 168 lbs.

The Keough senior makes it look easy being Green as he commands the tempo of his fights with a calm demeanor. By allowing his opponent come to him, he is able to conserve his energy, which he uses to get the upper hand in later rounds.

Dan “Pilgrim” O’Brien — 173 lbs.

The sophomore from O’Neill Family Hall is equipped with a certain toughness and resiliency that only true championship contenders hold. In his last fight against Thomas “Clipz” Hints, O’Brien got pummeled in the second round, but came back in the final minutes of the match and took care of business. He has proven he should never be counted out in a fight.

Jay “Nighthawk” Eversole — 173 lbs.

Eversole has a strong case as being one of the more defensively sound fighters this year. His semifinal bout against Jack “Down with Big Pharma” Rogers is more than enough evidence of what the Morrissey Manor junior can do. His ability to dodge punches and convert those misses into counter-punches is unmatched. Eversole hopes that the phrase “defense wins championships” holds true for him.

Michael “The Mayor of Flavortown” Krecek — 185 lbs.

Senior captain Krecek has earned his role in Bengal Bouts not just because of his veteran status, but because of his ability to dominate. The Morrissey Manor senior maintains a high composure inside the ring that allows him to stay 110 percent focused. Add his combination of hooks and quick feet, and Krecek makes winning a fight look easy.

Eric “Cheese Sandwich” Requet — 185 lbs.

The junior from Sorin College is coming in hot after a split-decision victory over senior captain Cam “Crash Cadillac” Nolan. Requet’s ability to bounce back from an unfavorable opening round in that bout and win is a testament to the way he can turn a fight around. Requet has a knack for adjusting well throughout the fight to what his opponent throws at him, and he will deliver huge hits. He’ll take aim at yet another senior captain in Michael Krecek during his final bout of the season.

Montana “Louisianimal” Giordano — 202 lbs.

Giordano’s offense includes an element that he’s learned through his ROTC work as well as his years participating in Bengal Bouts: patience. He doesn’t need to force anything, he just needs to deliver when he has the chance. In Giordano’s last fight, his patient offense was evident in the second round, when he waited for his opponent to get in a vulnerable position before striking.

Jack “Smiles” McDermott — 202 lbs.

Another captain who is in the finals, McDermott is methodical in his approach. The O’Neill Family Hall senior will start the fight by trying out different combinations and offenses, trying to learn what works and what doesn’t. More importantly, he likes to test out his opponent’s quickness and responsiveness to punches. If McDermott finds that he is much quicker than his opponent can defend, it’s game over.

Nick “Old School” Waytula — Heavyweight

Boxing aside, Waytula commands one of the most interesting swaggers in the tournament. He has the audience to cheer for him, but he also decides to play in basketball sneakers. Don’t let the KD’s distract you, however, as Waytula has plenty to offer in the ring. His height makes for a bit slower footwork than most, but his punching is still superbly quick. Waytula also demonstrated in his last bout that he can counter well when pitted against the ropes.

Ryan “Eat at Yaz’s” Richelsen — Heavyweight

The final captain to book his ticket to the championship round, Richelsen is another talent with a swagger. His supporters are loud, passionate and carry around a large cardboard cutout of Richelsen’s head. If that isn’t intimidating enough, Richelsen has a lethal uppercut punch. Add the fact Richelsen has the tank to go on punching frenzies, and it will be a much-anticipated final-round bout against Nick Waytula.

Tags: ,