-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Irish look to rebound with pair of conference matchups

| Thursday, March 28, 2019

The Notre Dame women’s tennis team will look to get back to its winning ways in the next set of home ACC matches. The Irish (10-8, 3-6 ACC) are amid a three-match skid after they dropped their last conference contest to Wake Forest, 2-5. This weekend, Notre Dame will have a chance to get back on track when it takes on Georgia Tech on Friday and Duke on Sunday, both at home.

Irish head coach Alison Silverio said getting off to a fast start and keeping things simple will be a key to success against the Yellow Jackets (8-8, 5-4).

“The main thing that we are focused on this weekend is really controlling the areas we have control over,” Silverio said. “They have strong ball strikers and players that compete extremely well. We’ve got to come out ready to go from the first point.”

Allison Thornton

Cameron Corse returns a volley in Notre Dame’s 4-0 sweep of Purdue Feb. 13 in Eck Tennis Pavilion.

Georgia Tech will be coming into Friday’s match fresh off of a 5-2 victory over Boston College.

Notre Dame will have another tough match with No. 3 Duke (15-2, 7-1) the following Sunday. The Blue Devils are on a five-game win-streak, but they will be playing at Virginia Tech prior to their trip to South Bend. Duke also boasts three players in the top 25 nationally: No. 14 junior Meible Chi, No. 15 freshman Maria Mateas and No. 22 sophomore Kelly Chen.

Coach Silverio noted the importance of the doubles matches in both contests as well as high-position singles players having the chance to play high-level competition.

“I think for sure doubles is important in both matches,” she said. “Going into singles, we have opportunities in our higher positions to play high-ranked opponents individually. Ultimately, every single match is important and we’ve got to approach each match as a team and know that we’re fighting for each other out there.”

Silverio also mentioned the approach the team takes going into each match, both at home and on the road.

“We’re certainly grateful for it to have this opportunity to play these two matches in front of our home crowd,” Silverio said. “For us, we work on approaching each match the same — whether we’re home or away, we want to have the right mindset as we come out.”

Doubles play will begin Friday at 3:30 p.m. at Eck Tennis Pavilion as Notre Dame seeks a fast start against Georgia Tech. Doubles play will begin at noon Sunday against Duke.

About Dominic Gibson

Contact Dominic