-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

Irish remain undefeated with pair of wins on road

| Wednesday, March 20, 2019

While the rest of the student body was getting some much-needed rest and relaxation, the undefeated Irish (8-0, 2-0 ACC) continued their excellent form from the start of the season.

On March 13, the Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team took on Virginia Commonwealth, winning 15-4. Sophomore attacker Maddie Howe improved her goal tally to 23 on the season, scoring five times. Also on the scoresheet were junior attacker Jessi Masinko with four goals, senior attacker Nikki Ortega with two goals, and freshman attacker Mollie Carr, sophomore midfielder Andie Aldave, junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan and senior midfielder Samantha Lynch, all of whom netted one goal apiece. Masinko also posted two assists while Aldave, Ortega, Lynch and freshman midfielder Hannah Dorney all had one.

The Irish took control of the game early and did not let up until the end, getting the win over the Rams (3-4).

After handling the Rams, the Irish travelled from Richmond, Virginia, to Charlottesville to face No. 7 Virginia. The Irish stepped up to the challenge, winning the matchup 10-9. Howe scored three goals, but it was Aldave who stole the show, scoring three of her own and assisting on two others.

A game of runs, the Irish ended the first period up 4-2. However, the Cavaliers (7-3, 0-3 ACC) fought back in the second, scoring five of the next six goals to take an 8-5 lead. Not to be outdone, the Irish responded with four unanswered goals of their own to reclaim the lead. After Virginia tied the game again with 4:27 to go, Aldave stepped up to ensure the victory, scoring a last gasp winner with just 1:30 left in the game.

Aldave and senior goalkeeper Samantha Giacolone were named the ACC offensive and defensive players of the week, respectively, after their performances against VCU and Virginia.

A win over the then-No. 5 team in the nation sprung the Irish up the national rankings to No. 8. The next action for the squad will be Wednesday night against Vanderbilt, before a tough stretch of conference action, including games against No. 4 Syracuse, No. 3 North Carolina, top-ranked Boston College and No. 12 Duke.

The Irish will take on the Commodores at Alumni Stadium on Wednesday at 5 p.m.