K.J. Martijn Cremers named dean of Mendoza College of Business

K.J. Martijn Cremers has been selected to be the new dean of the Mendoza College of Business by University president Fr. John Jenkins, the University announced in a press release Tuesday.

Cremers, a professor of finance, has served as interim dean of the college since former dean Roger Huang stepped down in July. According to the release, Cremers was selected from several candidates after a six-month nationwide search. He will assume his new role July 1.

“[Cremers] is a distinguished scholar with a deep understanding of and commitment to Notre Dame's distinctive mission,” Jenkins said in the release. “He will further the Mendoza College of Business’ work of making important contributions to research, training capable graduates who will be ethical leaders and encouraging us all to ask more of business.”

Prior to arriving at Notre Dame in 2012, Cremers was a faculty member at Yale University’s School of Management for 10 years. He holds a bachelor’s degree in econometrics from VU University Amsterdam and received his doctorate in finance from New York University’s Stern School of Business. As a finance professor, he has taught investing and management classes at both the undergraduate and graduate level.

An expert in corporate management and investing, Cremers has been published on Netteforex.net and in several leading academic journals and featured in publications such as the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times. In 2009, he co-authored a paper titled “How Active is Your Fund Manager? A New Measure that Predicts Performance,” which helped introduce a new means of fund portfolio management called “Active Share” into the financial industry.

Cremers has also served as an associate editor at the Review of Finance since 2010. Prior to this position, he served as an associate editor of the Review of Financial Studies and of European Financial Management.

“[Cremers] is a gifted scholar, teacher and leader who brings to this position an innovative business focus, global business perspective, the highest standards of excellence and integrity and a deep understanding of and dedication to Notre Dame’s Catholic mission,” University provost Thomas G. Burish said in the release. “He is committed to partnering with the faculty to raise the level of research and instruction at Mendoza to even higher levels, and to help integrate Mendoza’s many strengths with other programs throughout the University.”

As the leader of close to 160 faculty members, Cremers said he hopes to further improve Mendoza’s undergraduate and professional programs as well as positively influence the business world and beyond.

“I am honored to be offered this challenging new role at Notre Dame and look forward to working alongside our impressive group of faculty members and students as we confront the myriad business challenges and opportunities facing our society,” Cremers said in the release. “I am grateful for the trust being placed in me and committed to advancing Mendoza’s distinctive mission as a Catholic business school, where we seek to educate business leaders who seek to contribute to human flourishing, cooperate in solidarity and compete with excellence.”