-

-

Lewis Hall to host first-ever LHOB event

| Friday, March 1, 2019

Lewis House of Pancakes (LHOP) has been a popular tradition at Notre Dame for years. Continuing the tradition, the first-ever Lewis Hall of Baking, or LHOB, will commence Friday.

Unlike its fall counterpart, which serves breakfast as the primary food, LHOB will instead offer a variety of baked goods. Featured options will include Rice Krispies Treats, ice cream floats, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies and cinnamon rolls.

“LHOB is a playoff of LHOP, which is a really popular breakfast food event and has been successful for many years,” sophomore and co-signature event commissioner Jasmine Mrozek said.

Lewis president and junior Marissa Brennan said there will be a donut speed-eating competition at 10:30 p.m. during the event with representatives from each dorm.

“We really wanted to do [the donut eating competition] as a way of getting participation from all the halls across campus,” Brennan said.

Courtesy of Marissa Brennan

Lewis Hall will extend their baking tradition to a new event this year, Lewis Hall of Baking, which will offer a variety of baked goods.

Brennan also talked about the success of LHOP within Lewis.

“[LHOP] is a great way to get everyone involved in our hall,” Brennan said.

Lewis Hall’s previous spring signature event was Chicks for Charity, which consisted of making Easter baskets and sending monetary donations to St. Margaret’s House in South Bend, a local charity that provides supplies and support to impoverished women and children.

“We saw that not a lot of people were involved with [Chicks for Charity],” Brennan said. “It was a pretty brief event and not a lot of people knew about it, so we wanted to change it up this year to get more people involved.” 

One of the primary motivations for the rebranding of the spring signature event was to reach the wider campus, expanding their efforts beyond the dorm, Mrozek said.

“[Chicks for Charity] really had trouble getting other dorms involved,” she said. “It was really just Lewis girls participating. We [wondered what else] could draw campus involvement, so we thought something similar to LHOP, hence LHOB, [could do that].”

LHOB will continue to support St. Margaret’s House.

“Hopefully [LHOB] will raise more money than we have in the past,” Mrozek said.

Lewis started advertising for the event on Facebook by encouraging people to guess what the “B” would stand for in LHOB. Some people guessed things like burgers while others correctly guessed baking, Mrozek said.

“Especially because it is a new event, it was a way to draw attention to it,” she said.

Mrozek said students who attend will enjoy great food, support Lewis in its new signature event and help give back to the community.

“I think students should be confident in Lewis’s cooking abilities based off of LHOP, which is always a tremendous success,” she said. “We want to show students that we could do it again but with dessert food, but not only just to come to enjoy the great food that we will have but obviously the money is going towards a great cause.”

Freshman Margaret Peterson, who helped with baking the cookies ahead of time, explained her experience with LHOB preceding the event Friday night.

“I had a good time working with the other people working in [Lewis],” Peterson said. ”I think that the cookies are going to be really good, and we have a lot of other [baked goods] as well. Everybody likes the cinnamon rolls.”

All-you-can-eat tickets for the event are $3 and can be purchased in both North and South Dining Halls the day of the event, as well as at the door. Domer Dollars and cash are accepted.

“There will be music, lots of desserts, lots of fun and it’s only $3 for all you can eat,” Brennan said.

About Cate Von Dohlen

Contact Cate