-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

No. 6 Irish suffer first lost of season to No. 3 Orange

| Wednesday, March 27, 2019

The No. 6 Irish are undefeated no more.

It appeared the women were poised to continue their undefeated start to the season Sunday against No. 3 Syracuse, as they were up three with 10 minutes remaining in the game, however a 5-1 run by the Orange (10-2, 3-1 ACC), tied the game at nine goals apiece with just over four minutes remaining.

The Orange opened the scoring for the game two-and-a-half minutes into the first period, but Irish senior attack Samantha Lynch’s unassisted goal tied the game less than 10 minutes in, charging in on a free-position shot. Sophomore midfielder Andie Aldave netted Notre Dame’s second goal of the day on a cross-field pass from sophomore attack Maddie Howe to give the Irish (9-1, 2-1 ACC) the lead.

Syracuse sophomore midfielder Sam Swart received the ball from redshirt junior midfielder Mary Rahal to score and tie the game again. Redshirt junior midfielder Cara Quimby added another goal one minute later on an assist from senior attack Nicole Levy.

Anna Mason | The Observer

Irish sophomore midfielder Andie Aldave looks to pass the ball during Notre Dame’s 16-4 win over Louisville on March 2 at Loftus Sports Center.

Howe answered for the Irish with a solo goal to re-tie the game, but Orange junior attack Emily Hawryschuk — the nation’s fourth-leading goal scorer and fifth-leading point scorer — led the Orange to retake the lead when she scored her 40th goal of the season.

Howe’s second goal of the day came with the Irish up a player, going inside from the right side of the field, as Aldave sent her a pass for her 30th goal of the year to tie the game at four, just after Aldave recorded a draw control. Lynch then went back-to-back for the Irish, as she grabbed a pass from Howe to score with 15:21 left in the first period, and after a nearly eight-minute scoring drought on both ends of the field, Lynch netted her third goal of day to put Notre Dame up by two.

Hawryschuk scored again for the Orange, but freshman midfielder Hannah Dorney and Howe each scored in the half’s remaining 2:23 to go into halftime up 8-5, with both Howe and Lynch having notched hat tricks in the first period.

The Orange opened scoring once again in the second period, as Rahal netted her second goal of the game just under three minutes in. For the next 17 minutes, however, neither team was able to get past the goalkeepers on either end of the field, as Irish senior Samantha Giacolone recorded eight saves and Orange junior Asa Goldstock tallied 11 on the day. Finally, Howe broke through with her fourth and final goal of the day — a result of quick moves on the part of the sophomore, who dipped, dodged and was able to release right outside the box to bury another goal.

The Irish found themselves up 9-6 with 10 minutes to play, but the Orange went on a run.

The comeback was led off by Swart, whole scored an unassisted goal with 7:38 to play. Then, Quimby followed with her seventh goal of the season, bringing the Irish lead to just one goal. Hawryschuk scored goal 42 for the year to tie the game without any aid, and the two teams found themselves tied once again with 4:28 to play.

But Hawryschuk wasn’t done as she struck again less than a minute later with another unassisted goal — her fourth of the game — to hand the Irish their first loss of the season. The Irish were unable to respond with the three-and-a-half minutes remaining in the game, and the Orange came out on top 10-9.

While the Irish led both in shots and shots on goal in the first half, 17-9 and 13-7, respectively, the Orange turned the tide in the second half and out-shot them 15-9 and 11-7 in the final period.

Maddie Howe led Notre Dame with seven points on four goals and three assists while Aldave won nine draw controls. However, the biggest Irish storyline of the day was Giacolone, who passed Ellie Hilling for most career saves in program history, now totaling 529 career saves.

The Irish will look to get back in the win column as they host No. 4 North Carolina (8-2, 1-1 ACC)  Sunday in their annual Daughters for Dads campaign. First draw is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Arlotta Stadium.

Tags: , , , , ,