-

-

Observer Editorial: Thank you, rectors

| Friday, March 1, 2019

There’s no denying that Notre Dame’s residential life sets the University apart from its peer institutions. But in reflecting on what, specifically, makes residence halls special, The Observer Editorial Board wants to recognize a common theme: rectors.

Rectors set an example of selflessness for their students. They have dedicated their full selves to the betterment of college students while sacrificing various aspects of their lives to ensure the safety and well-being of others. This year alone, the five new rectors hired on Notre Dame’s campus are all under the age of 30. While they had the opportunity take on more traditional jobs or start families like many of their peers, these individuals are willingly living in cinderblock palaces, submitting themselves to 3 a.m. fire alarms and dealing with some of the shenanigans most people leave behind when they accept their undergraduate diplomas. And on the other side of the coin, some rectors have been with their campus communities for up to 41 years.

Rectors are often the hearts and souls of their hall communities. They are the engines that keep the halls running. They help hall councils function smoothly and they dedicate countless hours to events in their buildings, ensuring that everyone feels welcome and at home.

And while not everyone sees eye-to-eye with his or her rector, they all act with the best interests of their residents at heart.

This time of year can be especially stressful for our rectors, as they select their new hall staffs and find out who will be living in their buildings next year, all on top of their normal duties.

So, this week, we encourage residents to offer a bit of additional appreciation to their rectors for the hard work they do.

Thank you, rectors, for the late nights that turn into early mornings; whether they’re filled with tears or with laughter. Thank you for the comforting smiles, waves, hugs and handshakes that can make us feel at home when we need it most. Thank you for never shying away from real and important conversations and for prioritizing our needs, however trivial, above your own.

We appreciate you.

About Observer Editorial Board