-

-

An open letter to the entire campus

| Monday, April 29, 2019

Last August, 15 of us walked onto this beautiful campus as a part of a new program called the Inspired Leadership Initiative. “Many” years have passed since we were undergraduate students ourselves, and we were unsure of what to expect as we attended classes with you all. Some of us had never stepped foot at Notre Dame. Some of us return as nostalgic “olden” Domers. Some of us came from abroad. Some of us have children or grandchildren here on campus. All of us, like you, are searching for how to be a “force for good” in the next phase of our lives.

Everyone (students, faculty, staff) we have met this year has made our experience so special, but please allow us to be more specific in our gratitude.

• For treating me to lunch at South Dining Hall and sharing your plans for the future. -Maureen
  • For letting me sit in on your Idea Center meetings as you searched for great ideas. –Pat
  • For the kind and compassionate students who patiently helped me navigate Sakai. –John G.
  • For inviting me to join in your study group before the first exam. -Cindy
  • For being curious about why we’re here. -Marty
  • For welcoming me and inviting me to join your activities. –Jeff
  • For all professors and teachers (including you, Eric) willing to take a risk on having a “retiree” attend your classes. –Tuck
  • For making this a truly rewarding and memorable year for me. -Dave
  • For embracing us as members of the University of Notre Dame community. –Camille
  • For welcoming me into your life and becoming such a gratifying part of my life. –Lou
  • For this fabulous year learning with incredible students and professors and helping me pivot in my future plans. –Terry
  • For your patience and good humor as you directed me to where I needed to be, for confirming my faith in the younger generation and for your amazing kindness to the “old guy” in class. –Kevin
  • For being an institution that’s about being a force for good and walking the walk about it. -Ida
  • For the undergraduates who made me feel welcome in your classrooms. -John M.
  • For welcoming us with open minds and open hearts and showing what being a force for good really means. -Walter

With our heartfelt appreciation.

With our awe of your intellect, talents, character and faith.

With our best wishes for your continued success.

We, the Inaugural Cohort of the Inspired Leadership Initiative, humbly thank you!

GO IRISH!

Cindy Sescleifer

Inspired Leadership Initiative

April 24

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]m