-

-

ND Women’s Basketball

Danielle Patterson enters NCAA transfer portal

| Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Notre Dame sophomore Danielle Patterson has announced she will enter the NCAA transfer portal. Although the option remains for her to return to the Irish, odds are the 6-foot-2 forward will find a change of scenery based on a tweet sent out Tuesday evening.

“It has been a privilege to wear Notre Dame across my chest,” Patterson tweeted. “An opportunity not everyone gets to experience, and for that I say THANK YOU to all the people here at this University who have been apart [sic] of this journey.”

Patterson was the ninth-ranked forward coming out of high school and No. 30-ranked player overall per ESPN. She played in 33 games her freshman year, averaging 12.5 minutes and 2.9 points per game on 48.7% shooting, while also going 19-38 from the free throw line on the year. She also averaged 1.9 rebounds per game and recorded eight blocks and eight steals on the year.

Patterson’s playing time was hurt in part due to the return of former Notre Dame forward Brianna Turner after an ACL tear in the 2017 NCAA tournament, and to a lesser extent by the return of fellow-sophomore forward Mikayla Vaughn, who suffered an ACL tear after playing only six games her freshman year. This caused Patterson’s sophomore campaign to take a step backward in some regards. She maintained her 2.9 points per game average but saw her minutes and rebounds decrease to averages of 10.6 and 1.5 per game, respectively. She did improve her free throw percentage to .722 but attempted only 18 foul shots on the year.

As the Irish are expected to enter a rebuilding year, following the departure of all five of their starters to the WNBA draft, the likely departure of Patterson will leave another hole for Muffet McGraw’s team in the paint.

“Best of luck moving forward,” Patterson said in her tweet. “But the time has come for me to say goodbye and move on towards the future. I can’t wait to see what it holds. … #GodSpeed.”

Tags: ,