-

-

Sports

Delgado leads Irish at ACC championships

| Friday, April 26, 2019

The men’s golf team rounded out their regular season with the ACC Championships beginning April 18. Fielding a strong five, the Irish competed in New London, North Carolina against a field with some of the strongest golf programs in the country, including seven teams among the top 25.

The Irish placed 11th out of 12 teams but saw some strong performances to build on as the NCAA regional tournaments and NCAA championships approach. Senior Miguel Delgado continued marked a 209 (-7) across three rounds, a personal best for Delgado on the year for 54 holes. His efforts warranted a seventh-place individual finish, whose even par Saturday was preceded by a 3-under 69 and a 4-under 68 Thursday. Competitors played the initial 36 holes Thursday in anticipation of rain Friday.

By the end, John Felitto was the team’s second-best performer at 220 (+4), good for 38th place. Felitto ended the weekend with a one-over 73, staying consistent over the tournament as he marked a 74 (+2) and a 73 (+1) Thursday.

The Irish had ended tied for seventh after the first round, but eventually fell to 11th by the end of the weekend. Junior Davis Lamb finished with a 54-hole score of 221 (+5), placing him at 43rd overall. The junior found his rhythm in the first round, carding a 71 (-1), but shot five birdies and five bogeys as well as a double bogey to end at 74 (+2) in the second. Lamb finished the weekend with a four-over 76.

Freshman Andrew O’Leary shared 43rd place with Lamb, also finishing at 221. O’Leary also took the scenic route, going even, +1 and +4 in the three rounds over the weekend. Promising freshman Taichi Kho marked an 8-over 224 in his first ACC Championships. Kho finished Thursday with consecutive rounds of 75 (+3), wrapping up Saturday with a 74 (+2).

The Irish will compete in the NCAA Regionals, held May 12 through 15, in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Tags: , , , , ,