-

-

Farley Hall celebrates women empowerment through signature event

| Monday, April 15, 2019

In a relaxing afternoon complete with canvas painting, puppies, berries, cookies and lemonade, the women of Farley Hall celebrated the importance of self-acceptance while empowering women through friendship with their signature event “Be Fine Day” on Friday afternoon.

Junior Megan Texido, who coordinated the event, said the organizers decided to alter the event from past years in order to be more inclusive.

“Be Fine Day is all about [women’s] empowerment, and this year I added on to the slogan ‘Be fine, be you,’” Texido said. “We wanted to add that ‘be you’ part because empowerment applies to all women. You don’t need a certain image, you don’t have to have certain characteristics — we want to just celebrate women for who they are.”

The Be Fine Day celebrations kicked off Thursday night with a coffeehouse event in the Farley basement where students performed a variety of musical acts, sophomore Cate Sport, president of Farley Hall, said.

The main event took place on South Quad on Friday afternoon where Farley women gathered to paint canvases, enjoy snacks and spend time together.

The funds raised selling the canvases and snacks will benefit the YWCA women’s shelter in South Bend, which aims to eliminate racism and empower women while promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all people. The YWCA was initially established as a voice for women’s issues but grew over time to provide programs and advocate for women’s rights and civil rights.

Texido said she hoped the event would raise awareness regarding the YWCA’s mission.

In past years, the hall organized a no-makeup day and a high heel race for Be Fine Day, but Texido said they did not believe those events represented the purpose of the day.

“The high heel race didn’t allow a lot of campus participation, so we wanted a more inclusive event this year, and the concept of a high heel race was to ‘walk in her shoes’ and literally put yourself in a woman shoes, but I think the concept was misconstrued over the years,” Texido said. “Whether you wear high heels or whether you wear sneakers, everyone is welcome.

Texido said they choose the activities for the afternoon thoughtfully in order to keep the focus of the event on community.

“I think this year we had to be very careful with painting this image of ‘being fine,’ and I think this year we have done it best by not trying to associate specific feminine characteristics or constricting gender roles, so we’ll send a very inclusive message and empowerment among all women,” she said.

Sport echoed this sentiment, and said while the event celebrates individuality, it is also meant to celebrate bonds between women.

“It’s just about having fun together, treating yourself and encouraging that community between girls and empowering each other through making friendships,” she said.

Sophomore Brianna Drummond, the social media representative for the event, said she hoped students were able to see the Farley community and understand the concept behind Be Fine Day, which is its okay to be yourself.

“While doing so, though, we should strive to be our sweetest and finest self,” Drummond said.

About Serena Zacharias

Contact Serena