-

-

Sports

Former ND running back charged in connection to 5-year-old’s death

| Thursday, April 11, 2019

Former Notre Dame and NFL running back Cierre Wood has been arrested by Las Vegas police and charged with first-degree child abuse following the death of his girlfriend’s 5-year-old daughter. Both Wood and his girlfriend Amy Taylor are facing charges for the crime.

After the child passed away in a Las Vegas hospital Tuesday night, authorities investigated and decided to press charges. Wood was held Wednesday night with $5,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in court Thursday morning.

Wood, a senior on Notre Dame’s 2012 national runner-up team, was a highly productive back for the Irish in his three years of action, recording 2,447 career rushing yards — with a career 5.4 yards per carry average — and 384 career receiving yards, as well as 16 career touchdowns.

Wood elected to forgo his fifth and final year of eligibility, having redshirted his freshman year. After leaving Notre Dame, Wood went undrafted and ended up traveling around the NFL for two years, playing with the Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, Seattle Seahawks and Buffalo Bills from 2013 to 2015.

Most recently, Wood joined the Canadian football league in 2017, playing with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats before being traded to the Montreal Alouettes in May of that year. He was released from the team one year later.