-

-

Here’s to a better class registration experience

| Wednesday, April 17, 2019

My eyes fluttered open and my hand gravitated toward my phone. Picking it up, I casually glanced at the time. 8:30 a.m. I blinked a few times, hoping I had groggily misread it, thinking there was no way I was stupid enough to sleep through class registration. But staring at the clock illuminating my phone screen as seconds ticked by did not bring a magical return to some time before 7:20.

Finally grasping that I was not mistaken, that I had, in fact, slept through registration, I clamored out of my lofted bed, and jumped from the top of my ladder onto the carpeted floor. Staggering to my desk, I frantically grabbed my computer. Shoeless and disheveled, I sprinted out of my room, thinking for some reason that I needed to find my friends, who most certainly could not help me, but whom I believed in the moment could turn back time. The end to my horrors was not in sight, for as I sprinted into the hallway, my legs gave out beneath me and my computer fell to the ground, hard. I probably should have just given up then, taken it as my cue to get back in bed. But after a few seconds sprawled on the floor, I picked up my computer and continued my sprint. I reached the end of the hallway, almost colliding with my friend, Claire. I’m ashamed to admit that in the high stress of the situation I searched for someone to blame other than myself. I immediately shouted “Why didn’t you wake me up?” at a very bewildered Claire. Despite her confusion, I continued to shout about missing registration, wasting more valuable time. She had no answer for me, given that I was blaming her for my own mistake, and just attempted to calm me down as I raved about my misfortunes.

Ironically, I think that the stress and pressure surrounding setting my alarm was the very reason that I forgot to do so.

From the moment my advisors and peers began preparing me for my first class registration, I heard the same warning again and again — do not sleep through registration. In fact, I heard it so frequently and so enthusiastically that it filled my mind in the days leading up to spring semester registration. With these thoughts running through my mind, I went to bed the night before registration anxious. I ambitiously planned to wake up around 6:45 a.m. in advance of my 7:20 a.m. registration slot. And I would’ve done so, if I had remembered to set my alarm.

Eventually, I gave up my tirade and began registering, which for various reasons and a lot of sheer luck, actually turned out fine. I was able to salvage my schedule and the few classes that I had to replace actually turned out for the better.

However, it could have easily been a much bigger disaster, which I could not have recovered from — or not very easily, at least. Thus, next time I register for classes, I will try not to allow the stress of registering cause me to miss registration totally.

And I’ll double check that I actually set my alarm.

About Martha Zaytoun

Contact Martha