-

-

ND Women’s Golf

Irish struggle on road following weather delays

| Wednesday, April 10, 2019

After a top-10 finish at the Clover Cup in Mesa, Arizona, three weeks ago, the Irish women’s golf team looked to continue its strong play at the Brickyard Collegiate last weekend, hosted by Mercer College in Macon, Georgia. However, Notre Dame had one of its worst outings of the season, finishing tied for last among 13 competitors.

Difficult weather conditions played a major role in Notre Dame’s struggles this weekend, as the tournament’s first two rounds Monday were impacted by a lightning delay. The Irish were never able to find their rhythm Monday, shooting some of their highest scores of the season as a result. Additionally, the Irish never got a chance to rebound Tuesday, as the final round of the tournament was cancelled due to inclement weather.

Ann Curtis | The Observer

Sophomore Abby Heck lines up a putt in Notre Dame’s exhibition game at Warren Golf Course.

With Monday’s results considered final, Emma Albrecht was Notre Dame’s top finisher on the weekend, as the senior tied for 40th after two rounds of play. After shooting a 78 in the first round, Albrecht improved her score in the second, firing 1-under on her last 11 holes to finish with a 74 for the round. Sophomore Abby Heck was Notre Dame’s second-best finisher and tied for 53rd overall. She fared best in the first round, shooting a 74 before shooting an 80 in the second. Heck was followed by junior Mia Ayer and freshman Claire Albrecht, who finished 57th and 60th, respectively. Finally, while senior Isabella DiLisio finished the tournament tied for 63rd, she improved her score by 10 strokes from her first round to her second. After a dismal first round at 84, the senior shot 3-under on the back nine of her second round to finish with a 74.

Mercer finished first in the abbreviated tournament, with Charlotte, East Tennessee State, North Carolina and Texas at San Antonio rounding out the top five.

Notre Dame will now shift its focus to the ACC tournament, which will begin next Thursday at Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, North Carolina. The Irish will look to shake off their performance this past weekend as they head to the postseason, aiming to clinch their second-consecutive NCAA regional birth.

Tags: , , , , ,