-

-

ND Women’s Golf

Irish to face strong competition at ACC Championship tournament

| Wednesday, April 17, 2019

No. 11 Notre Dame has completed its regular season and is headed to Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, North Carolina from Thursday through Saturday for the ACC Championships. The postseason tournament will feature some of the country’s top competition, including seven of the top 28 teams in the country and 10 in the top 50.

The Irish are going to have to be sharper than they have been as of late to post a strong result. In the team’s most recent competition at the Brickyard Collegiate they finished tied for last in 12th place, failing to place an individual higher than tied for 40th. Irish head coach Susan Holt said she knows the team is excited to compete for the ACC, and needs to raise its level of play for such an important tournament.

Ann Curtis | The Observer

Irish sophomore Abby Heck hits a shot during an exhibition match at Warren Golf Course on Aug. 24.

“We’re excited to be returning to Sedgefield Country Club for the ACC Championship this year. It is a very challenging course that will require us to manage our games a lot better than we have been,” Holt said. “We have the talent to compete we just need to execute better come tournament time.”

The team will need its seniors to step up for what is one of the final tournaments in each of their Notre Dame careers. Seniors Isabella DiLisio and Emma Albrecht have been staples in the Irish lineup since arriving on campus four years ago, and will need to take advantage of their last opportunity at the ACC Championship to give the Irish a chance at a good result.

As of late, DiLisio and Albrecht have shown flashes of excellence, but have been unable to translate it into consistent results. DiLisio finished tied for 63rd in a 71-person field at the Brickyard, posting an 84 in her first round followed by a bounce-back 74 for an overall 14-over. Albrecht fared a bit better, tying for 40th with a 78 and a 74 for an 8-over tournament. The two have both posted top-10 finishes in other tournaments this year, and will look to re-gain that form at Sedgefield.

In addition to the seniors, the Irish will look for contributions from junior Mia Ayer, sophomore Abby Heck and freshman Claire Albrecht, playing in her first ACC championship. Heck, in particular, will look to perform the way she did in the team’s first tournament of the spring, when she finished tied for second individually. Heck encountered a few problems at the Brickyard and finished tied for 53rd at 10-over, but if she can get back to her winning ways, the Irish could be positioned for a solid finish.

Notre Dame finished 10th in last year’s ACC Championship, and after an uneven spring season this year, the Irish may be able to beat that standard in the coming weekend. Getting a top-half finish could provide a much-needed boost to earn them an NCAA regional tournament bid, which will take place from May 6-8. A good result will not come easy, and the Irish will need all their players at their best to compete with No. 3 Duke, No. 5 Wake Forest and the other powerhouses that await them in Greensboro.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Jack Concannon

Contact Jack