-

-

Mendoza adds new position of associate dean for undergraduates

| Monday, April 29, 2019

A new position of associate dean for undergraduate studies has been added to the Mendoza College of Business’ leadership team, the University announced in a press release Friday. Jim Leady, an associate teaching professor of finance, will begin the position July 1.

Leady will oversee the existing undergraduate curriculum, as well as develop new initiatives for business students. As the new associate dean, Leady will work with Mendoza’s academic departments and with Notre Dame’s other colleges to create opportunities for undergraduates.

Martijn Cremers, the Bernard J. Hank Professor of Finance, who served as Mendoza’s interim dean, said the position was a crucial addition because there are new academic developments occurring in the college.

“Undergraduate studies at Mendoza is undergoing major changes, including transitioning from basically a three-year curriculum to a four-year curriculum, the addition of four minors open to non-business majors and organizational changes to our Office of Undergraduate Advising, which will mean adding four additional student advisers to the office,” Cremers said in the press release. “We also plan to explore further significant innovations and enhancements of our undergraduate curriculum, and thus hope to strengthen the college’s administration of our undergraduate studies by adding an associate dean.”

Leady said in the release he is looking forward to beginning preparing students to be leaders in their eventual business fields.

“I am very excited about this opportunity to lead the transformation of undergraduate business education at the University,” Leady said. “We want to leverage Mendoza’s unsurpassed excellence in preparing young women and men to be leaders in business and the community to broaden opportunities for current Mendoza students and expand programs for non-business majors.”

Leady has been a faculty member of Mendoza since 2006 and teaches economic courses at the undergraduate and graduate level. He also served as the assistant chair and director of undergraduate studies for Mendoza’s Department of Finance and advises the Corporate Finance Club.

Throughout his career, Leady has taught courses in public finance, labor economics, game theory, intermediate microeconomics and principles of economics at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky, and at Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

He earned his bachelor’s degree in economics from the U.S. Military Academy and his master’s and Ph.D. in economics at the University of Michigan. Leady continues to serve as a major in the U.S. Army Reserve in the 766th Transportation Battalion, with his most recent deployment to Kuwait in 2015-2016.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report