-

-

NDPD warns community about phone scam

| Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The Notre Dame Police Department (NDPD) warned students in an email to the Notre Dame community on Tuesday about a phone scam appearing to come from the main NDPD phone number (574-631-5555). The caller claims to have a warrant for the person’s arrest and requires an in-person meeting at a remote location or a credit card number to avoid arrest.

“Please know that NDPD does not make notifications in this manner and would never ask for a credit card or other personal information over the phone or to meet in a remote location,” the NDPD email said. “Please make a note of this and contact NDPD if you have any questions.”

In the email, NDPD warned students to look for signs they may be receiving a scam phone call.

“Scammers often alter caller ID numbers to make it look like an actual agency is calling,” the email said. “The callers use titles and fake badge numbers to appear legitimate. They may use the victim’s name, address and other personal information to make the call sound official. Sometimes merely calling the number listed may result in a charge to your phone service.”

The email listed other methods for students to see if they are being tricked by a phone call, including if the caller leaves a voicemail message to call them, asks for credit or debit card numbers over the phone, demands that the student pay immediately without first sending a bill in the mail or threatens to report the student to law enforcement to have them arrested.

NDPD provided a list of preventative measures against phone scams in the email, including verifying the claims the caller makes by contacting NDPD or a University official, refraining from providing personal information and carefully analyzing payment requests.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report