-

-

Notre Dame graduate, journalism faculty member wins Pulitzer Prize

| Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Carlos Lozada, a Notre Dame graduate and faculty member for the Gallivan Program in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy (JED) in the Notre Dame Washington program, has been awarded a Pulitzer Prize for his work as a nonfiction book critic with the Washington Post, the Pulitzer Prize Board announced Monday.

Lozada won the 2019 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism. According to the Pulitzer Prize’s website, Lozada was chosen “for trenchant and searching reviews and essays that joined warm emotion and careful analysis in examining a broad range of books addressing government and the American experience.”

Lozada’s essays range from discussing politics, national dilemmas, the history of presidents and his own life and memories as an immigrant.

Born in Lima, Peru, Lozada immigrated to California when he was 3-years-old. Lozada and his family moved back to Peru when he was 10, but he came back to America to attend college.

According to the Gallivan program’s website, Lozada graduated from the University in 1993 with a degree in economics and government. He went on to receive a master’s degree in public administration from Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs in 1997.

Before joining the Washington Post in 2005, Lozada worked with Foreign Policy magazine as its managing editor. He also was a Knight-Bagehot Fellow in business and economics journalism at Columbia University from 2004-2005.

At the Post, Lozada served as the Sunday Outlook editor, national security editor and economics editor, before becoming the nonfiction book critic in 2015.

He received the National Book Critics Circle’s Nona Balakian citation for excellence in reviewing in 2016 and was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for criticism in 2018.

For the last decade, Lozada has taught a weekly seminar course, “American Political Journalism,” which is taught as part of Notre Dame’s Washington program.

Lozada, as a Pulitzer Prize winner, will receive a cash prize of $15,000.

Tags: , , , , ,

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report