-

-

Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon raises over $173,000 for children’s hospital

| Monday, April 1, 2019

Saint Mary’s hosted its 12-hour Dance Marathon on Saturday in the Angela Athletic and Wellness Complex. The money raised from Dance Marathon benefits for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis.

Saturday’s event was the culmination of a year-long planning effort by various committees at the College.

Sophomore Caitlyn McKevitt, a committee member of the morale team, said, “We all have our personal page for the Dance Marathon so we reach out to people that we know. We also helped work a lot of events too and we had girls go around the dorms and collect trash from girls room for change or any donations that they would offer us.”

With all of the donations and fundraising that the committee members and event attendees contributed, the event raised a total of $173,331.87.

Dance Marathon drew many students from all over the tri-campus community and many first-timers as well.

“I knew a lot of people who attended the event,” sophomore Anna Abel said. ”My friends and I were upset we didn’t do it last year because we saw how fun it was and we were excited to take part in it this year. As soon as the info came out for it, we made sure we signed up.”

While some attended Dance Marathon for the first time, others — like McKevitt — were veterans of the event, having attended back when it was held at Holy Cross College.

“I participated in Dance Marathon last [year] and this year we were able to host it in Angela, a gorgeous space to be in,” she said.

The change in location contributed to a more seamless event with greater participation from Saint Mary’s students overall, McKevitt said.

“I think it went a bit smoother than last year because it was on our campus,” she said. “More girls probably wanted to do it here because it’s on the heart of our campus.”

McKevitt also said that the event was not something exclusively for Saint Mary’s students.

“It is a tri-campus event so we had some girls from Notre Dame and Holy Cross on my committee and I know that they have certain committee members for outreach,” McKevitt said.

The event centers around donating to the children at Riley Children‘s Hospital and Abel credited this philanthropic aspect as helping foster connections among committee members.

“As a nursing major … I love to see how much of a difference this event makes in the lives of those families and I hope that I’ll be able to help more people in the next years to come,” Abel said.

While other, like McKevitt, may not have such a personal connection, that does not stop them from enjoying the day.

“I have three favorite parts of the day,” McKevitt said. “Showing the entire crew the dance, hearing the stories because it’s honestly so touching every time you hear it and you sit back and think my money and all this hard work that we put in is going to these amazing families and they deserve it so much. And obviously, I like the end because it’s so rewarding to see the grand total right in front of you on those big posters.”

The day ended with a lot of money being raised for Riley Children’s Hospital and with many happy children, McKevitt said.

“I believe the kids had a lot of fun. It was just great the energy was just there. The kids were able to come up with their families and they tell their stories and you actually see who it’s impacting,” she said. “Many tears were shed, for sure.”

About Emma Ault

Contact Emma