Saint Mary’s to host Junior Moms Weekend

There will be an extra 400 women roaming around Saint Mary’s College campus this weekend, as junior moms from all across the country come to visit their daughters.

Juniors Michelle Lester and Kassandra Acosta, class of 2022 council representatives, are in charge of planning this year’s Junior Mom’s weekend event with help from executive administrative assistant of student affairs Noelle Warren and vice president of student affairs Karen Johnson.

“This weekend is important because it gives the Belles of the junior class a chance to spend a special weekend with their loved ones as we end our junior year,” Lester said. “It is also a great way for us to thank our loved ones for everything they have done for us throughout our lives and especially their help in us attending Saint Mary’s.”

Lester said this year, they are making specialized shirts that read, “I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living, together we’ll be,” and wine glasses with the words “Together we’ll be,” referencing the famous children’s book, “Love You Forever” by Robert Munsch. They will also host a garden dedication ceremony.

“We will all gather at Riedinger House to dedicate a garden we have donated on behalf of the class of 2020 and our moms [and] mother figures,” Lester said. “It is a beautiful garden on the right side of the lawn in front of the house.”

Lester said they will host an opening reception Friday. Moms and daughters will have the opportunity to practice yoga in Angela Athletic and Wellness Complex, attend Mass in the Church of the Lady of Lorretto and go to a silent auction at the Hilton Garden Inn over the course of the weekend.

“All proceeds from the silent auction go to help offset the costs of the Class of 2020’s Senior Week next year,” Lester said.

Lester said moms and daughters also have free entry to the Angela Athletic and Wellness Complex along with tickets to Saint Mary’s production of the play, “Proof.”

Junior Kellen Hinchey said her mom is traveling from the suburbs of Chicago to spend some quality time with her daughter.

“I am most looking forward having my mom here all weekend, being able to introduce her a lot of my friends and getting her more involved in the SMC community,” Hinchey said.

Hinchey said she and her mom decided to participate in most of the pre-planned activities but will also spend time together on their own shopping or getting their nails done.

“I hope to spend quality time with my mom this weekend and show her what a Saint Mary’s woman is all about,” Hinchey said. “We didn't know anyone who went to SMC before I started school here, so we are learning a lot of the SMC traditions together.”