Alumni Hall rector announces retirement after 41 years in email to Alumni community

Fr. George Rozum, the rector of Alumni Hall, announced his retirement as rector Monday after over four decades at the helm of the dorm.

“Because I no longer have the energy and stamina that I believe is required to do a really good job as a rector, arrangements have been made for me to leave Alumni, so that Alumni may have a rector who will do the many more things for the hall that I think should be done, and that I used to do,” Rozum said in the email.

Rozum will be retiring so he can better look after his health, he said in the email.

“I have loved being rector for you in Alumni, and I would never be rector in any other hall, especially because of great people like you,” he said. “But I now need regular hours of sleep, so that I can maintain my good health, and this job, as wonderful as it is, does not allow for very regular hours.”

Rozum said in the email he plans to become a priest-in-residence and will minister to both Pangborn Hall as well as “the University as a whole” next year. After that, he will either move in with the Pangborn women into their new hall, or into Corby Hall after its construction.

While he said leaving the Alumni Hall community will be difficult for him, Rozum assured the community that they will left in “good hands.”

“All I can say to you is that I will greatly miss you — your faith, your energy, your friendships, but Residential Life will leave you in very, very good hands, because they care so much about every hall,” he said in the email.