College graduates awarded Bob Orr Entrepreneurial Fellowship

Saint Mary’s seniors Ashlyn Maes and Maura Newell have been awarded the Governor Bob Orr Indiana Entrepreneurial Fellowship, a post graduate program for top graduating seniors.

According to the fellowship’s website, the program promises a full-time salaried position with a host company, professional development and career coaching, an extensive peer and alumni network, leadership and entrepreneurship opportunities and immersion in the city of Indianapolis. The Orr Fellowship especially focuses on civic engagement with communities within Indianapolis, working with local nonprofits, social enterprises and public schools.

Newell, a political science and communication studies double major, said she was excited to learn she received the fellowship, which she applied for after hearing a presentation from current Orr fellows.

“I was unsure of what I wanted to do after graduation, and the multiple opportunities for continued learning, leadership, mentor support, service, etc. the fellowship offered seemed like the perfect opportunity to explore more options over the next two years while I continued to try and decide where my interests would take me,” Newell said in an email.

Newell and Maes were selected from a pool of applicants to attend a “fORRum” event at Notre Dame where they met with current and potential fellows and were later invited to further networking and interviewing events. Newell said she prepared for the interview process by researching the Orr Fellowship and reaching out to College alumnae currently in the fellowship.

“It was super helpful to be able to speak with them and gain insight on their experiences and the transition from Saint Mary’s to their companies in Indianapolis,” she said. “I think the interview process alone taught me so much about myself and professional settings. It was quite a whirlwind process, but I gained a lot from the experience.”

Newell said the opportunities for leadership and growth offered at Saint Mary’s as well as advice from supportive teachers played a role in helping her earn the fellowship.

After receiving the Orr Fellowship, Newell selected a position at Indiana University Health. She will be working three eight-month-long rotations in different departments within the company over the next two years, in areas of marketing, healthcare policy and public policy, she said. Her first rotation will start with the Indiana University Virtual Healthcare team.

Newell said she is unsure about her plans for the future, but she’s looking forward to taking advantage of the opportunities offered by the fellowship, such as retreats, service days, leadership talks and exploring potential career paths.

“I am excited to see where the next two years take me and go from there,” she said.