-

-

Men’s Lacrosse

Costabile headlines USILA awards for Irish

| Thursday, May 23, 2019

Three members of Notre Dame’s NCAA quarterfinals team were honored by the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) for the 2018-2019 season.

Junior midfielder Bryan Costabile led the way for Irish head coach Kevin Corrigan’s program, earning First-Team All-American honors. He was joined by fellow junior Jack Kielty and senior Brendan Gleason, who were both named honorable mentions for their contributions to the team this season.

This was the second All-American nod for Costabile, who was named to the Second Team in 2018. This past season, he was a consistent threat for opponents’ defensive units, setting the single-season program record for goals scored (42) by a midfielder, leading the team in total points at 48 and scoring in all 16 matchups. He was named ACC Offensive Player of the Year for his efforts.

Observer File Photo

Irish junior midfielder Bryan Costabile maneuvers around a defender during Notre Dame’s 13-12 loss to Michigan at Arlotta Stadium on March 21, 2018.

Kielty had a breakout season of his own by leading the defensive unit with 50 ground balls and 10 turnovers. This was the first USILA honor for the defenseman, who joined the Irish out of Delbarton School in Morristown, New Jersey.

Attacker Gleason built on his junior campaign by scoring 26 goals and dishing out 12 assists. He had the highest shot percentage this season among those who attempted 10 or more shots. This was the second-straight year the native of Essex, Vermont was named an honorable mention.

Led by Corrigan, this is the 14th consecutive year multiple Irish athletes received awards from the USILA. Costabile’s honor also marks six-straight years Notre Dame received a First Team All-American award.