-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

Five athletes named to All-Region honors

| Thursday, May 23, 2019

The Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association announced Tuesday that five Notre Dame athletes had been named to the list of All-Region honors. The five honors — four to the First Team and one to the Second Team — match Denver and Northwestern as the most for any school at the regional level.

Headlining the honors were two sophomores, midfielder Andie Aldave and attack Maddie Howe, and two seniors, goalie Samantha Giacolone and defender Hannah Proctor — all of whom were named to the First Team All-Region. The underclassman duo of Aldave and Howe led the Irish offense, recording 47 and 59 goals, respectively, career-bests for both athletes. Aldave was also a force on draw controls, recording 152 throughout the season to average eight draws per game, seventh-best in the country. Howe, meanwhile, had several breakout games, including a six-goal, six-assist performance against Ohio State in February to tie the program record for most points in a single match.

On the defensive end, Giacolone and Proctor have each earned distinct legacies under Irish head coach Christine Halfpenny. Giacolone recorded 138 saves this season, stopping nearly half of all attempts made by opponents. Similarly, Proctor helped fend off attacks, forcing 23 turnovers throughout the season. As captain for the 2019 campaign, she was a leader with the defensive corps that held opponents to an ACC-low 8.05 goals per game.

Rounding out the honors, junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan was named Second Team All-Region. The junior captain was a key leader around the circle, and she had a continued presence collecting ground balls and forcing turnovers.

All four athletes named to the First Team were also First Team All-ACC honorees. Buchanan was also named to the Second Team All-ACC list for the Irish.

Tags: , , , , ,