-

-

Track and Field

Irish DMR wins indoor national championship, team sets numerous records

| Friday, May 17, 2019

The 2019 season saw both team and individual success for the men’s and women’s Notre Dame teams. In addition to the numerous personal records set by many members of the team, the Irish also saw strong finishes against ACC competition, as well as some medals brought home by several members of the team at the various meets the team participated in.

After a long winter of workouts and multiple meets, three of which — the Blue & Gold Invitational, Notre Dame Invitational and Meyo Invitational — were held at home in Loftus Sports Center, the team competed in the ACC Indoor Championships, held at Virginia Tech on Feb. 21. The women’s team came in eighth place in a field of 15 teams, while the men took sixth out of 15.

From the field side, notable performances came from junior Logan Kusky in the weight throw, where his mark of 21.37 meters was good for first place and a school record. Sophomore Rachel Tanczos also took first place in the same event on the women’s side of the house, as well as a school record, while junior Abbey Kapitan followed her with a second-place finish.

Anna Mason | The Observer

Irish senior Annie Heffernan competes in the 3,000 meters during the Meyo Invitational on Feb. 2 at Loftus Sports Center.

The biggest moment of the year for the squad came during the NCAA Indoor Championships in Birmingham, Alabama, where the men took home the gold in the distance medley relay (DMR) on March 8. The team finished the race — consisting of a 1,200-meter run, followed by a 400-meter, 800-meter and 1,600-meter run — in 9:31.55. The relay team was composed of freshman Dylan Jacobs, senior Edward Cheatham, sophomore Samuel Voelz and sophomore Yared Nuguse.

As the weather warmed up and track transitioned from the indoor to outdoor season, the squad participated in meets across the country, breaking personal bests and collecting medals. Their meets included heading west for the Stanford Invitational, south for the North Florida Invitational, east for the prestigious Penn Relays, as well as staying closer to home for the Jesse Owens Invitational hosted by Ohio State.

The team began the postseason at the ACC Championships, hosted by Virginia. On the team side, the squad’s collective efforts were good to earn a seventh-place finish for the women and a ninth-place finish for the men in a field of 15 teams. In addition to the solid team finishes, some members of the squad brought home individual titles. Nuguse took gold in the 1,500-meter run, and sophomore Andrew Alexander took third place in the 5,000-meter run. Senior Anna Rohrer took gold in the 10,000-meter run, followed closely behind by freshman Madelynn Denner, who won the silver medal. Senior Rachel DaDamio also medaled for the Irish, taking second place in the 5,000-meter run.

The Irish are preparing to compete in the NCAA East Regional meet May 23 to 25, hosted by the North Florida in Jacksonville, Florida.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,