-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Irish make strides in first season under new head coach

| Friday, May 17, 2019

Under the direction of new head coach Alison Silverio, No. 46-ranked Notre Dame saw significant improvements in individual and team performances.

The Irish (13-12, 5-9 ACC) kicked off their season with a hot start, going on a three-match winning streak, claiming 20 matches while only dropping one to ACC-opponent Pittsburgh. Despite dropping the next two matches after that, the Irish went on another win streak, earning five-straight victories, four of which came at home at Eck Tennis Pavilion.

Notre Dame also earned themselves the 10th seed in the ACC championships, where they beat Pittsburgh 4-1 before having their season come to an end against seventh-seeded Virginia, 4-1.

Allison Thorton | The Observer

Irish junior Zoe Spence prepares to return a hit during Notre Dame’s 4-0 over Purdue on Feb. 13 at Eck Tennis Pavilion.

The Irish had two players ranked in the ITA national rankings. Junior Zoe Spence earned a ranking in singles as well as in doubles with her partner, sophomore Cameron Corse. Corse and Spence also earned third team All-ACC honors. Spence finished the year ranked 74th in singles and 43rd in doubles along with Corse. Spence finished the season with a 17-13 overall record in singles and 18-9 in doubles.

Head coach Alison Silverio also earned honors when she was named into the Georgia Tech Sports Hall of Fame.

Despite graduating two members from the team in Rachel Chong and Brooke Broda, the Irish will be returning several key starters for next season, in which they hope to improve further.

Tags: , , , , ,