-

-

HCC Women's Soccer

Lack of depth for HCC leads to conference collapse

| Friday, May 17, 2019

The Saints did not quite have the season they wanted to this year, finishing 3-12-1 overall and 0-10 in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletics Conference. This year, their highlights included a pair of early wins against Rochester College on Aug. 28 and a monster win against Andrews University on Sept. 5, winning 8-0.

Despite starting the season 3-2-1 in non-conference play, the end of their year was not what they expected. They lost all of their games in the CCAC, getting shut out in eight of those losses and only scoring one goal in the other two. They finished the year on a 10-game losing streak, although the games became more competitive as the year went on. However, after head coach Omar Gallo’s first season, there is room for improvement but reason to believe the team will improve this year’s record.

The Saints’ roster featured only four seniors — Sydney Bright, Brianna Gonzalez, Carley Klott and Kailee Zimmerman will all graduate this spring. The roster also includes a host of younger players: two freshmen, five sophomores and two juniors. The team will return a significant amount of experience in these players and will undoubtedly count on them in order to improve to a winning record in the seasons to come.

Four players this season also were recognized as Daktronics-NAIA Scholar-Athletes: Zimmerman, Sydney TothKlott and Bright all maintained above a 3.5 GPA to achieve the honor.

Gallo said the team made a number of strides in their performance this year.

“Overall I was very proud of our girls this past season,” he said. “We had a goal to put Holy Cross women’s soccer on the map in many different ways. On the field, we wanted to be competitive. During non-conference, we wanted to finish with a winning record, which we accomplished. During conference play it was our goal to compete and play for 90 minutes.”

However, Gallo said his team needed more depth in order to really compete in conference. On the outlook for next year, he said he remains positive.

“Our incoming class is going to be very special,” Gallo said. “We’ve recruited some big names in the Midwest, which is exciting. Our goal was to recruit student-athletes who have a winning mentality, who are technically strong and have plenty of knowledge of the game, and we feel we’ve been able to accomplish this.”

With a strong incoming class and returning experience, the Saints are set for a winning trend in the 2019 season.

Tags: , , , , , ,

About Matthew Tighe

Contact Matthew