-

-

Saint Mary’s symposium showcases research, creativity of students, faculty

| Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Thursday will be Saint Mary’s third annual symposium, an event featuring research and showcasing creative works completed by students and faculty.

Senior Mary Coleman, representing the Humanistic Studies department, will be on the visualization panel presenting on a medieval castle in Italy, which has the largest collection of Arthurian frescoes in the world.

“I have been working on this project since the beginning on March. I developed the larger project out of a paper I wrote my one of my Humanistic Studies classes,” Coleman said. “Professor Ambrose in humanistic studies has been instrumental. She encouraged me to apply for symposium and develop this project beyond a paper.”

Hope Marinkovich, a senior representing the art department, will be involved with the poster segment of the symposium.

“My poster will explain the concept behind my senior comprehensive art show, which focused on upcycling and how a mindful treatment of textiles can bring us to a greater understanding (An enlightenment, even!) of our actions as humans and how they/we connect to the natural world,” Marinkovich said in an email. “At the symposium, I will also be experimenting with a performance piece, in which I will invite anyone present at the symposium to weave a circle with me and create a collaborative work with members of the Saint Mary’s community. It will serve as a demonstration of the necessity of working together with others to literally build this circular structure and metaphorically keep the upcycling movement going as a group effort.”

Marinkovich has been working towards the symposium for a month, but her senior comprehensive project began way back in October of last fall “with brainstorming, finding resources, experimenting with the textiles and envisioning what [her] show would look like.”

Instrumental to Marinovich’s symposium project was the support of professors Krista Hoefle, Julie Tourtillotte and Ian Weaver, she said.

“[They] have not only given me their time and advice in guiding my senior comprehensive project, but have been supportive every step of the way, inspiring me with their kindness, passion, books and tea to help make this project a success,” Marinovich said.

Saint Mary’s students will be given the day off to attend the symposium.

“I think it is beneficial for all students to show up to the symposium, because these are research projects designed and conducted by your peers. They are interesting and diverse projects focusing on topics that are important to the students of this generation,” Marinkovich said. “Simply showing up to the symposium communicates a nonverbal message that you care about learning something new that is pertinent and important in this day and age.”

About Callie Patrick

Contact Callie