-

-

Hockey

Anaheim Ducks select incoming forward Trevor Janicke in the fifth round of the NHL Draft

| Saturday, June 22, 2019

Following a busy first round of the NHL Draft on Friday, teams returned to the action in Rogers Arena in Vancouver, Canada, on Saturday to make their selections for the remaining six rounds where incoming Irish forward Trevor Janicke was selected by the Anaheim Ducks with the 132nd pick. Janicke‘s selection marks the 85th member in program history to be selected in the draft.

Janicke, originally from Maple Grove, Minnesota, is entering his rookie season with the Irish and will look to make an immediate impact following the departure of forward trio Joe Wegwerth, Jack Jenkins and Dylan Malmquist to graduation. While in high school, Janicke captained the Central Illinois Flying Aces, scoring 22 goals and adding 26 assists. He has also represented the United States in international play, scoring two goals in Team USA‘s second-place finish at the 2018 IIHF Under-18 Men’s World Championship. Most recently, he was named to the preliminary roster for the World Junior Summer Showcase held at the end of July in Plymouth, Michigan, joining rising sophomores Jake Pivonka and Spencer Stastney.

Janicke‘s selection to the Ducks is the 38th over the course of head coach Jeff Jackson‘s 14-season tenure. This also marks the 15th-straight year that a member of the program has been selected. Janicke brings the total number of NHL draftees on Jackson‘s roster to seven, joining Pivonka, Stastney, sophomores Nate Clurman and Nick Leivermann, junior Matt Hellickson and senior Cam Morrison.

Tags: , , , , , ,