-

-

ND Softball

Brooks earns First Team All-American honors by NFCA

| Saturday, June 1, 2019

The accolades just keep coming for Cait Brooks. The designated player out of Burbank, California, graduated this past May, but that hasn’t stopped her from continuing to etch her legacy into this program, most recently being named to the All-America First Team by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA). This award came just three weeks after she was named ACC Player of the Year. The All-American nod by the NFCA, announced Wednesday, is the first in program history.

In her final season with the Irish, Brooks had a breakout season, setting the single-season home run record of 20. In addition to leading the ACC in home runs, she also recorded a conference-best slugging percentage of .857 while finishing second in the conference in three other offensive categories.

While the Irish (37-18, 18-6 ACC) ultimately fell short of advancing to the Women’s College World Series, Brooks posted strong performances in their three regional games. In their opening matchup against Wisconsin on May 16, Brooks got on base twice in three at-bats. Two days later, Notre Dame faced elimination against UMBC, and while Brooks didn’t personally score, she walked in all four of her plate appearances and was at second for a bases-loaded walk to senior first baseman MK Bonamy to force in the opening run that led to Notre Dame’s 2-0 win. In its third game of the regional, Notre Dame once again met up with the Badgers. Brooks came out of the dugout ready to make a statement, knocking the first pitch she saw through the left side and scoring senior left fielder Ali Wester in the first inning. Although the Irish managed to build a four-run lead, the Badgers mounted a comeback and ultimately advanced 4-5, ending Notre Dame‘s season.

Brooks is joined by freshman pitcher Payton Tidd, junior second baseman Katie Marino and senior outfielder Ali Wester, who were all named to the Mid-Atlantic All-Region First Team by the NFCA. Additionally, Bonamy earned Third Team All-Region honors.

Tags: , , , , ,