-

-

Football

Former Notre Dame running back Cierre Wood indicted for murder, child abuse

| Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Former Notre Dame and NFL running back Cierre Wood was indicted Tuesday of murder and 20 charges of child abuse along with his girlfriend, Amy Taylor, for the death of Taylor’s 5-year-old daughter.

Observer File Photo

Cierre Wood, pictured in a file photo from 2013, was indicted Tuesday for murder and child abuse.

Wood was arrested on charges of first-degree child abuse April 10 after Taylor’s daughter, La’Rayah Davis, was found unresponsive in Wood’s apartment. The couple was charged with murder after further investigation by the Las Vegas police.

Wood’s attorney said he plans to plead “not guilty” at his arraignment July 2. Taylor’s attorney declined to comment.

Wood played for Notre Dame from 2010-2012 after redshirting his freshman season and went undrafted before signing with the Houston Texans in 2013. He saw stints with four other teams over the course of three seasons before joining the Canadian Football League in 2017. He played for two teams, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Montreal Alouettes, before being released in May of 2018, effectively ending his professional career.