-

-

Track and Field

Irish record national championship, two All-Americans over weekend

| Sunday, June 9, 2019

The men’s and women’s Notre Dame track and field teams concluded their seasons at the NCAA championships in Austin, Texas, this weekend. The men finished 28th overall and the women 30th. While neither team cracked the top tier as a unit, both saw strong individual performances from their runners.

Sophomore distance runner Yared Nuguse was the lone Irish male to run over the weekend, competing in the national championship of the 1,500-meter run. After starting strong, Nuguse fell behind toward the end of the race, but managed an improbable comeback over the final 100 meters, sneaking to the front through the inside lane and capped by a photo-finish win of three-thousandths of a second.

The victory gave Nuguse his first individual national title and second overall title of the year, as he won the indoor national championship in the distance medley relay. With the championship, he is the first Irish man to win an individual title since Ryan Shay in 2000.

On the women’s side, the Irish sent six runners to the championships. Senior distance runner Rachel DaDamio finished 20th overall in the women’s 5K with a time of 16:43.69, while junior Summer Thorpe took 22nd place in the 100-meter hurdles, crossing the finish line in 13.51 seconds.

Senior distance runner Anna Rohrer placed sixth in the 10K, earning All-American honors in the process. Freshman Maddy Denner also competed in the 10K and was the first freshman to cross the finish line, concluding her season with a 19th-place finish in 34:58.38. The high temperature forced freshman Jackie Gaughan to drop out of the race early.

Graduate student Jessica Harris recorded a season-best time of 4:12.50 in the 1,500-meter run semifinal to qualify for the championship heat. She then bested that with a time of 4:11.96 in the final, ending her career with a third-place finish to earn the bronze and All-American honors.

Tags: , , , , , , ,