-

-

ND Women’s Basketball

Women’s basketball guard Jordan Nixon announces departure from Notre Dame

| Wednesday, June 26, 2019

After having lost six members of last year’s national runner-up team, Notre Dame women‘s basketball received news of another roster shakeup as guard Jordan Nixon announced Tuesday she will not be returning to the Irish for her sophomore campaign. Nixon‘s departure marks the second player in the past two months to transfer out of the program, joining high school teammate Danielle Patterson, who recently committed to Indiana for her junior season.

Michelle Mehelas | The Observer

Freshman guard Jordan Nixon looks to drive in Notre Dame’s PInk Zone game in Purcell Pavilion against Florida State Feb. 10.

News broke that Nixon was considering entering the transfer portal Monday night, a fact she confirmed to the South Bend Tribune through a Twitter direct message. However, the official announcement came the following day when she shared an Instagram post that stated, “After much consideration, I have decided to transfer from Notre Dame to continue my academic and athletic career. Thank you ND.“

The 5-foot-8, five-star guard out of New York City had a promising start for the Irish, having been named to the 2018 McDonald’s All-American roster. After starting her first three collegiate games in place of then-senior guard Marina Mabrey, who had been sidelined with a leg injury, she suffered a concussion Nov. 17 against DePaul that kept her out of play for the next five matchups. While she eventually returned to the action, she never regained her playing time or court presence, averaging 2.5 points in 14.5 minutes of play on the season. Nixon‘s time with the Irish was marked by periods of crafty play, followed by inconsistent ball handling. She had the third-highest 3-point percentage on the team to go along with 4.9 turnovers per every 40 minutes of play, a team high.

She was also recently named to the 12-women roster for the upcoming Under-19 World Cup team for USA Basketball.

Nixon‘s announcement adds to the list of changing elements in head coach Muffet McGraw‘s program. Following back-to-back appearances at the national championship, all five starters from McGraw‘s team were selected in the WNBA draft, with the top pick — Jackie Young — having another year of eligibility remaining. Meanwhile, the Irish added two graduate students to their roster to go along with their five-star pair of Samantha Brunelle and Anaya Peoples in the incoming freshman class.

Tags: ,