-

-

An attack on off-campus residents

| Wednesday, August 28, 2019

To the Notre Dame community,*
(*off-campus students not included)

I’m writing in because the student body has been notified about an alarming new policy. This residential policy significantly restricts card access for every individual on campus, but one group of our so-called “Notre Dame community” is disproportionately affected: Off-campus students.

This is not the first hit off-campus students have taken since my time at Notre Dame. I am a rising senior, and I’ve noticed particularly in the 2018-2019 academic year that Notre Dame has been choking off access to off-campus students. Some of the most notable changes: Not being able to participate in intramural sports (despite students previously living in said halls three years in a row) and restricting access to dorm-sponsored events like formals. All of those rules were blows to Notre Dame’s community claim. But this new policy almost fully invalidates Notre Dame’s claim on community. Now, the privilege of being part of the community is only if they receive their $15,000 for room and board.

There’s already a clear divide in the community between men and women, now another. They state their reasoning for this new policy is for “safety and security” reasons. Last I checked there hasn’t been a large uptick in break-ins into dorms nor an uptick in parietal violations, so what is it?

An attack on lower-income students, of which make up most of the off-campus residents?

An attack on LGBTQ couples, in an attempt to reinforce same sex parietals?

Or are they truly keeping security incidents to themselves to protect not only Notre Dame’s reputation but financial security?

Whatever the case, the students have had no say in these recent drastic policy changes. I hope going forward our Student Government does more than organize donuts and coffee on Monday mornings. Although I love sugar and caffeine just as much as the next person, I love my freedom on campus more. We are all students at Notre Dame, we will all be receiving Notre Dame degrees whether we live on campus or not, and we are all part of the Notre Dame community* (*all students included).

Jordyn Platenburg

senior

Aug. 27

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]