-

-

At work for the common good

| Friday, August 23, 2019

Dear students, 

It is a genuine pleasure to welcome each of you to Holy Cross College. Your arrival every August brings a renewed sense of purpose and excitement, and on behalf of our faculty, staff and administration, I extend my heartfelt gratitude for your being part of this community.

I would especially like to welcome those of you who are new to campus. You can expect much from your time here, and you will quickly discover and feel at home in a place that I know to be a truly supportive and welcoming place of scholars, citizens, leaders and disciples at work for the common good.  

The Catholic liberal arts education we offer here is transformative — at Holy Cross, you will have the opportunity to discover and discern your purpose in the world and find within yourself the “competency to see and the courage to act.” You will engage in a meaningful liberal arts education buoyed by a devoted faculty and grounded in the mission of the Congregation of Holy Cross. 

In the weeks and months ahead, you will find many opportunities, not only here at Holy Cross, but in the tri-campus and the greater community, through which you will develop as a global citizen. You will meet and engage with new friends and mentors. You will learn things you never knew possible, form friendships you never imagined and experience things totally unexpected and new. 

Through the founding order of Holy Cross and our shared mission of educating the hearts and minds of our young men and women, the tri-campus community has much that brings it together. That very mission is what appealed to me when I moved here at the start of my own college career. I hope you realize that your involvement in it has already begun. I pray that you take this time to embrace the experience and continue to grow in faith and wisdom.

Again, welcome to Holy Cross College. Know of my prayers for you in the coming semester.

In Holy Cross, 

Fr. David T. Tyson

President, Holy Cross College

Aug. 22

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]