-

-

Belles Bash welcomes Saint Mary’s students back to campus

| Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Saint Mary’s Student Activities Board (SAB) hosted Belles Bash, a tri-campus community event put together at the start of every school year, on Sunday.

SAB president and senior Emma Freund said the organization prepared for the event over the summer.

“We had to plan a lot over the summer because everything had to be done in advance, because it’s before the school year,” Freund said. “Basically, we had to reach out to vendors and work with our board to work on themes and get our ideas ready and our giveaways ready.”

This mandated that much of the organizing take place online, Freund said.

“It’s definitely more difficult than when we’re all together because everything has to be done digitally,” she said. “So it was a lot of messaging, emailing. That’s always difficult when you have to email back and forth so many times.”

The theme for this year’s Belles Bash was “Sweet to be SMC.” The t-shirts given out at the event were designed by Giavanna Paradiso, a junior at the College.

SAB also had multiple vendors at the event, who provided food.

“Doughnuts from Rise’n Roll, Gigi’s Cupcakes, inflatables from Xtreme [Fun Party Co.], fried Oreos … from Herbkoe Fun Foods, and our DJ is from D&T productions,” Freund said.

Treasurer Maria Bruno, a junior, said the event helps to usher in the new school year and to introduce SAB to students.

“I think since this is our first event and we put a lot into it, the girls see what SAB does and then they come back for more events,” Bruno said. “And this is a good way to start off on the right foot, showing everyone this is what we provide for people during events and this is the fun we can have.”

Bruno said the event is also a good way to meet new people and reconnect with old friends.

“It’s always super fun to see the students get excited about t-shirts. But there’s the huge bustle that comes right away and everyone’s going around the see the free items and stuff to do,” she said. “After that, it’s much more laid back, so it’s cool watching everyone meet each other, or those first interactions once they’re back with friends.”

Freshman Erin Bennett said she was happy to have an event that included students from multiple grade levels.

“We’ve had the orientation stuff and Saturday we had Domerfest, but it helps us see that everybody is here,” she said. “For a while, when it was just us, I forgot that the upperclassmen were here, but now that they’re all here it’s kinda real.”

Freund also said SAB has worked to improve the event and said its organizers strive to make their events about the students.

“Belles Bash is always really fun because it’s one of our most heavily themed events, so we get to do different things. We’ve had a circus, last year was ‘under the sea,’” she said. “One of the biggest things we did to change is shortening our events from three hours to two hours. We felt it was more helpful for students to all be here together and that creates more of a sense of community with everyone.”

About Emma Ault

Contact Emma