Tuesday, May 7, 2024

John Kuka named as Holy Cross’ vice president for advancement, athletics

In a Monday press release, Holy Cross announced Notre Dame alumnus John Kuka would serve as the College’s new vice president for advancement and athletics. Kuka previously served as the associate director of athletics at Valparaiso University since 2013 and will take over in his new role on Sept. 9, the release said. According to the release, Kuka will oversee the College’s development efforts and athletics in this new role. Kuka spent 15 years in the field of communications, development and marketing in athletics and higher education, the release said. At Valparaiso University, Kuka oversaw the administration of Valparaiso’s athletics advancement efforts. He previously served as the director of athletics development at DePauw University and was responsible for the overall administration of a campaign to secure more than $70 million in commitments to support athletics, the release said. He earned his bachelor’s degree from Notre Dame in 1998 before serving in the United States Army from 1998 to 2000. He received his master’s from the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication in 2004, where he also served as the school’s assistant dean for communications, the release said.

“I am so pleased that John has taken on this role,” Fr. David T. Tyson, the College’s president, said in the release. “It is hard to imagine anyone better suited for these specific areas of leadership. His spirit and talents truly befit our renewed mission of providing these young men and women with a transformative, intentionally Catholic liberal arts education.”

Kuka said he was honored to be part of a school with a “rich tradition” in Catholic education. “I am truly humbled by this opportunity to join the community at Holy Cross College,” Kuka said. “It is an honor to be part of such a rich tradition of Catholic higher education. I would like to thank Father Tyson for his example of stewardship and for allowing me to take part in his vision for this remarkable institution.”