Take these opportunities

Dear new students, Like generations who came before, you are embarking on a journey at the University of Notre Dame where you will have an opportunity to advance your knowledge, deepen your faith, develop your character and form lifelong friendships.I hope Notre Dame challenges you in many ways. Take these opportunities to find a passion that matches your talents and allows you to lead a purposeful life. Dare to be different, yet be respectful and welcoming to all. Have fun, without engaging in behavior that would place you or others at risk. Expect much of yourself, care for those in the community around you and reach out for support when needed. Explore new things, while cherishing the people and traditions that matter. Embrace Notre Dame’s distinctive Catholic, Holy Cross tradition, and enrich your understanding of it through study and reflection. Contribute your own talents to improve the experiences of others. Much of your development at the University can and should occur on your own. At the same time, know the Division of Student Affairs is available to support you through our residential communities and a variety of student service departments. The professionals who serve in Campus Ministry, the Office of Community Standards, the Family Resource Center, the Gender Relations Center, Graduate Student Life, the McDonald Center for Student Well-Being, the Meruelo Family Center for Career Development, Multicultural Student Programs and Services, RecSports, the Office of Residential Life, Sara Bea Disability Services, the Student Activities Office, the Office of Student Enrichment, the University Counseling Center, University Health Services and beyond are trained to provide specialized services and programming that will complement your formation. All of us are eager to accompany you on the road you will travel during your time at Notre Dame.I look forward to watching how your presence, energy and ideas renew and enhance our University. May we all form a strong community and write the next chapter of this beloved institution together.

With best wishes and prayers for a successful year, 

Erin Hoffmann Harding

vice president for student affairs, Notre Dame

Aug. 22