-

-

We will cheer you on

| Friday, August 23, 2019

Dear first year students,

It is our absolute pleasure to welcome you to your home under the dome and to stand alongside you as you begin your Notre Dame journey. We are are Elizabeth and Patrick and we are so honored to be serving as your student body president and vice president this year. Over the next four years you will come to know how special our Notre Dame family is, and Welcome Weekend is just the beginning. Over the next few days you will find yourselves serenading your way around campus, wearing the same beautiful dorm shirt every day and attending the greatest of all university welcome events: Domerfest. 

As you walk around campus you will begin to find your favorite “spots”: study spots, prayer spots and friend spots.  Though four years may seem like a long time, in the blink of an eye you will be wishing you had time for one more walk around the lake, one more quarter dog from LaFun and one more football weekend. You will find that though Notre Dame’s famous school spirit and football prowess are evident on campus, you will realize that there are a million other things that make Notre Dame special. We encourage you to take the time to truly find out how to make Notre Dame your own. 

Whether through academics, artistic expression or activism; in your residence hall, in clubs or in the South Bend community; inside the classroom and beyond it; be sure to explore your passions, both the ones you brought with you and the ones you’ve yet to discover. Apply for grants! Take classes outside your major! Robotic football club? Go for it! Treasure the new friendships you make through these experiences, but be sure to remember those first friends who got you here: your parents — call your parents. Also, be sure to be kind to yourself! Many of the discoveries you’ll make here are about you — spend time taking care of yourself and being with yourself when you need it.

No matter where your skills and passions take you — and where you take them — we will be cheering you on alongside your new Notre Dame family. This is, of course, figurative cheering. Although we strongly encourage you to visit us in the Student Government office in 203 LaFortune. There, we will quite literally cheer you on. 

And speaking of cheering, go Irish! Beat Cardinals!

Welcome home,

Elizabeth Boyle

student body president, Notre Dame

senior

Patrick McGuire

student body vice president, Notre Dame

junior

Aug. 22

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]