-

-

‘Mamma Mia 2’ screening moved indoors, Belles enjoy a movie night

| Monday, September 23, 2019

After weeks of planning, Sunday’s student government sponsored event was threatened by rain. The event was a Support a Belle Love a Belle (SABLAB) movie screening of ‘Mamma Mia 2’ meant to be screened outside. The Social Concerns Committee of the Student Government Association also helped plan the event.

“It was supposed to be an outside movie, but obviously it’s pouring down rain, so we could not have it outside,” senior Abby Carter, co-chair of the Social Concerns Committee, said. “So were having Mamma Mia [2] play in the Carroll auditorium.”

Fellow social concerns committee co-chair and senior Bella Krochey said she was glad people showed up to the event in spite of the rain.

“Hopefully it still goes OK, I was really really sad that it rained, but we still had people come and stay and everything so it’s really uplifting” she said. “We were a little scared cause the rain.” 

Krochey also expressed concerns about the rain interfering with the event.

“[I thought] ‘Oh my god, what if no one comes because it’s in the auditorium in Madeleva [Hall]?” she said.

Instead of letting the rain stop their event they got busy trying to get the word around about the location change from Dalloway’s Green outside LeMans Hall to Carroll Auditorium in Madeleva Hall.

Despite changes in locations, other aspects of the event such as the time — 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. — and the free goodies, like the blankets for the first 50 people present in line, were not subject to change.

“We’re still giving out t-shirts, [Let’s Spoon] frozen yogurt, blankets and we’re having a raffle for two blankets,” Carter said at the event. 

Despite the rain, the turnout was high, with a line that stretched down the hallways of Madeleva, filled with Belles doing homework and chatting excitedly as they waited for admittance.

“We ordered 300 of everything so we hoped hoped for this much turn out, but we definitely didn’t expect it,” Carter said, “So  this is really nice. … [Since] the week before we came to school, we’ve been planning.”

Girls in line were excited to speak about what this event meant for them as a community event.

“I’m a huge Mamma Mia fan and me and my friends just figured it’d be fun,”  freshmen Allison McPeek, who had several friends joining her, said. “Me and my roommate, we always blare [the soundtrack] in the car [or] in our room when we’re getting ready, so we’re pretty pumped for this.”

The competition to get the free blankets was fairly intense, attendees said.

“I’ve been waiting in line for a solid 20 minutes now, I got here at 6 [p.m.] so, an hour before they start passing out the free stuff,” said McPeek. “When I got here there [were] already like 70 other people ahead of us. We’re not even near the front of the line.”

About Callie Patrick

Contact Callie