-

-

College library details resources for students

| Thursday, September 26, 2019

With the semester well underway, the Cushwa-Leighton Library at Saint Mary’s aims to remind students of the services it offers. One way of doing this is through a social media promotion featuring young children wearing capes.

“Captain Cushwa-Leighton is our resident library superhero,” senior Taylor Strong, who works at the library’s circulation desk, said.

Editor’s Note: Strong is a social media manager at The Observer.

Strong is also the library’s social media intern. She manages posts for the Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts where the Captain Cushwa-Leighton images have appeared.

Captain Cushwa-Leighton and the super tutors have appeared on signs posted in the library and the library’s social media posts.

“[The kids] aren’t here often … we just like to use their pictures,” Strong said. “The library like[s] to use them in social media posts to get students excited about asking questions for help.”

Captain Cushwa-Leighton images have been used by the library before, with children of faculty affiliated with the library and writing center appearing as the superheroes, junior writing tutor Brynne Volpe said.

“Their children are the writing center’s unofficial mascots,” she said.

Among the services the library likes to remind students about is the research help desk, which is staffed by a librarian most of the hours the library is open.

“The research desk is there for anything,” Strong said. “You can get help finding sources for different research papers. … They also help with citations.”

The Cushwa-Leighton Library also has librarians who specialize in particular subjects and research areas.

“These librarians focus on certain areas and know more about individual subjects,” Strong said.

Also located in the library is the Writing Center, where students can meet with tutors for help during the process of writing papers, Volpe said.

“We assist, support and aim to help people become better writers through all stages of the writing process,” she said. “[Students] can come to us with anything — even just a vague idea of what to write about. We just want to support writers and show that writing isn’t always painful.”

Beyond supportive services for students, the library also aims to engage students in fun activities. Strong said the library is marking Banned Books Week this week by asking people to submit titles of their favorite banned book. The library also has several events planned for later in the semester.

“We have a trivia event coming up in November,” Strong said. “We’re putting it on for the entire school.”

As the library’s social media intern, Strong works to organize a contest each semester. For the fall semester, the contest will have a Halloween theme.

With events such as these, Strong said the library aims to reach out to students and make sure they know what services are available to them.

“There’s been this big push for the first 100 days of school to make sure the freshmen are comfortable,” Strong said.

About Sara Schlecht

Contact Sara