-

-

multimedia

From the Archives: An introduction

| Sunday, September 1, 2019

Diane Park | The Observer

In 1966, a group of students at the University of Notre Dame decided to found a newspaper. These students jumped to fill the void left by The Voice, a student publication that collapsed under a host of issues. The new newspaper, they declared, would be different. They called it The Observer, and much has changed over its 53-year history.

The archives of The Observer serve as a comprehensive record of student life in our tri-campus community. They also provide significant insight on national and local issues over the past few decades. For example, our first issue makes several references to the Vietnam War and the draft. 

From Vol. 04, No. 023 — 1969/10/16

We believe in reflecting on our past — our achievements, failures and everything in-between. That’s why we created “From the Archives,” a weekly multimedia feature that uncovers the most interesting and revealing stories from The Observer. 

Acclaimed journalist Eduardo Galeano wrote “history never really says goodbye.” Join us as we delve into content from every department of the newspaper and piece together the fascinating story of our community.

About From the Archives

Contact From the Archives