-

-

ND Women’s Soccer

Irish shut out by No. 4 Tar Heels, lose fourth of five

| Monday, September 30, 2019

This Sunday, the Notre Dame women’s soccer team traveled to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, to play against No. 4 University of North Carolina. The Irish (7-4, 1-2 ACC) lost the game 3-0, dropping their fourth match in the last five games after winning six straight to start the season. However, three of those losses came on the road against top-10 teams, the others being against No. 10 Clemson to begin conference play and against No. 7 South Carolina.

The Tar Heels (10-1, 3-0) were the highest-ranked team the Irish have faced all year, with the game being played in front of a home crowd of 2,316 people.

The Irish started the game strong, earning a corner kick in the second minute. Graduate student defender Shannon Hendricks elevated a kick toward the back post that senior midfielder Alexis Martel-Lamothe headed toward the goal, but Tar Heels freshman goalkeeper Marz Josephson made the save.

Ryan Vigilante | The Observer

Irish sophomore defender Jade Gosar clears the ball during Notre Dame’s 3-2 loss against Iowa at Alumni Stadium on Sept. 15.

The Irish had several opportunities early off of corner kicks but were unable to score. North Carolina broke the scoreless tie in the 27th minute. Redshirt senior Ru Mucherera took a shot that was saved by Irish senior goaltender Brooke Littman, but the ball rebounded right to senior forward Bridgette Andrzejewski, who tapped in the score.

By the end of the first half, the Irish had only registered a pair of shots, whereas the Tar Heels pounded the defense with 10. The second half proved to be more of the same, with Notre Dame only managing two more shots and North Carolina adding eight to their total.

Eleven minutes into the second half, North Carolina added another goal, with sophomore midfielder Brianna Pinto burying a back flick in the far post. The Tar Heels scored their third goal at 74:54 as junior defender Lotte Wuben-Moy converted a penalty kick for her second career goal.

As North Carolina’s women pressed forward, they managed to accumulate a total of 12 corner kicks over the game, while Notre Dame team’s total amounted to five.

The only player to stay on the entire game for the Irish was Littman; the Rancho Palos Verdes, California, native managed to save six shots over the course of the game.

The team’s next opponent of the season is Syracuse, as the Irish look to stay undefeated against ACC opponents at home. The match against the Orange is scheduled to kick off at 7 p.m. Friday at Alumni Stadium.

About Inigo Yturralde

Contact Inigo