-

-

Saint Mary’s announces national rankings, Notre Dame, Holy Cross also rank

| Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Saint Mary’s received national rankings from U.S. News and World Reports and Money Magazine, the College announced Monday.

Saint Mary’s placed No. 102 in the U.S. News’ annual survey and ranking of the top 1800 liberal arts colleges in the country. This ranking considers factors such as student excellence, economic and ethnic diversity, awarding of merit aid, graduation and retention rates, the number of classes with fewer than 20 students and alumni giving.

JOSEPH HAN | The Observer

The College also ranked No. 31 out of best small colleges and No. 149 of 500 colleges and universities surveyed in Money Magazine’s “Best Colleges in America, Ranked by Value” list. This list assesses college quality and affordability by ranking academic institutions on 19,000 data points, including tuition fees, family borrowing and career earnings.

In a press release, Saint Mary’s Interim President Nancy Nekvasil said she was happy the College was recognized for its achievements.

“While rankings are only one measure of a college’s success, our students, faculty and staff are pleased to see Saint Mary’s recognized as a premier destination for young women seeking a personal, challenging and supportive learning environment,” Nekvasil said in a press release. “We’ve practiced our core values of learning, community, faith/spirituality and justice for 175 years, and we look forward to many more years devoted to the development of strong women.”

Notre Dame and Holy Cross are also ranked, with Notre Dame named the 15th best national university in the nation and Holy Cross designated 29th on the list of best regional colleges in the Midwest, as well as 31st for best value and 47th for top performance in social mobility.

According to the ranking, the University places 11th for best undergraduate teaching, is tied for 77th in the most innovative school category, ninth for service learning and 45th in study abroad. It was also ranked as the 24th best value school in America.

Neither Notre Dame nor Holy Cross released a statement regarding the rankings.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report